Friday, February 8, 2013

Feline Friday - My Bobcat Adventure

Please Note:No large zoom lens was used while taking these photos. I had my standard 18 to 35 MM lens on. We were literally face to face! I was approximately 2 to 3 feet away at the most! A few times I got so close and my camera failed to fire! 
 They are very good at hiding. I could only find him and get a shot when he moved.
I apologize for the quality of the images but this big guy was crouched underneath a huge bush protecting his kill. It was around 9 am in the morning, and the sunlight was just starting to peek around the corner of our house which faces east. This guy was pretty good size. I would estimate his weight to be around 25 to 30 lbs.

 In the second photo if you look very closely he is walking toward me. It is very hard to see but he was easily 24 inches from shoulder to ground. They are very beautiful and exciting to see. To get a photo like this is extremely exhilarating. The adrenaline rush is incredible. Normally these cats are very illusive and it's rare you will see one.

However, in the last few years, the bobcats around here have become very comfortable with people. They no longer fear us.  They were protected by law until last year. Now they are over populated, hungry, and becoming more and more aggressive.

With increased population, the drought, lack of food sources, and, exposure to everyday human sounds, as we live in a lake resort area, the newer generations coming along have little to no fear of humans. Some times they will run but many times they firmly stand their ground. It's a good rule of thumb to always keep a shotgun handy, especially, during the late evening, and early morning hours!
~Mine stays loaded and I always have extra shells!~
_____________________________

Walter got home yesterday afternoon and his company is in the process of locating a DR. for him to see about his surgery. It will be nice to have him home for such a long period of time. Please keep him in your prayers. He has two hernias and both are in dire need of attention!
~We both hope everyone has a great weekend!~
~Happy Feline Friday!~





25 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness....I swear, I wouldn't be standing around taking pics of a bobcat that was heading toward me...it'd be slipping in my doo doo.

    Hope your daughter had a great birthday yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew- don't like those things! Glad you have a good zoom lens and didn't have to get too close. Be careful, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jackie, you're brave, very brave! I would forget about taking pictures, and find refuge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, just how cool would it be if Rembrandt and many of the old masters would have signed their artworks like you watermark your photos?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pics, Mom. He is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool! I don't know if I've ever been that close to a Bob Cat. I know there are 2 (or maybe 3) of them at our local zoo, but they're usually sleeping in their "cave" so I think we've only actually seen them once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Jackie,
    Wow, Bobcat Adventure☆☆☆ I know you have 3 cats from your sweet comment for me. Although bobcat sounds really scary, your post makes me want to see out of curiosity; your explanation relieved me a little for you p; You sure are a photographer♬♬♬

    And you are hosting links and contributing to us, aren't you♡♡♡

    Wishing you a wonderful coming weekend from across the ocean.
    Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako

    ReplyDelete
  8. he is truly amazing, but i know they kill your fowl and pets, and are dangerous to humans, they are the toughest of the cats in the USA... we had one here in FL couple of weeks ago that attacked the man and his son in their garage, they got out of the car and he was there and leaped, they had to go through rabies shots while they waited to see if it was rabid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are supposed to be plentiful in my area but I have never spotted one in my life. I've always read that they are elusive. Crazy to think that they're getting more and more used to humans. Great ohotos!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Hootin Anni, I wouldn't get that close to a wild bobcat, lion, tiger, etc.

    Great pictures.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  11. About 25 years ago my son and I were snowmobiling. I was stopped and watching my son drive by a large bush. As he passed it an angry Bobcat came out of the bush and chased him for about 50 feet. My son never even saw him. The Bobcat was huge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have been fortunate enough to spot a bobcat or two along the Blue Ridge Parkway. It seems each time it has been close to Cherokee, NC. One was quite big. Both times were at night, too. I wish we could see one during the day. You're so lucky to have snapped these pix of yours. Really cool opportunity! Thanks for visiting my little niche in Blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This made my spine tingle. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought I was nuts to walk up to a sunning alligator, but I think you win the award for bravery. Yikes. Amazing that it let you get this close, especially since it was feeding. Color me impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think would be running for the hills LOL they got mean eyes

    I hope Walter gets the hernias sorted soon

    Have a bobcatless weekend Jackie ;-)


    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, none of us are going to ever be able to top this for a Feline Friday. I'm just saying. Excellent Jackie.

    Have a terrific Feline Friday. Big hugs honey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. wowee very cool- we saw one also right outside our house-but our camera's battery was dead...however this is what we saw!
    http://katheworsley.blogspot.com/2013/02/flash-wild-life-sighting-this-morning.html

    I just started playing Feline Friday, but cannot figure out how to set up the link without the red x next to my name. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw a Bobcat in the Allegheny Mtns. while on the road with Bill. They do have them North of us. Some have been sighted coming down railroad tracks from the North. I am thrilled they are making a comeback in some areas of the US. You are blessed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jackie,

    So beautiful photos. excellent done!
    finally I can catch my visitor 'cat'. I don't have cat honestly ;)
    have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  20. The shots are very cool and I can imagine how exciting it was to get them but I would have been a little scared too

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so brave Jackie! Absolutely wonderful pictures. I will keep Walter in my prayers and hope he gets the help he needs for his condition!
    Have a great weekend,
    {{Hugs}}
    Janet :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. first time here, BTW thanks for visiting me! these are wow pics of the bobcat! I have never seen one, even when we lived in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh, my. very close. not sure i'd like that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes, interesting photo! delicate and mysterious light.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The big cat looks familiar, but this is not the usual housecat you have captured! I like the effects of the photo, the cat shown here a bit mysterious as you caught him at mealtime. I'd prefer to not be so close...a magnificent set of captures!

    ReplyDelete

♥ ♥Thanks for stopping in and talking to me! ♥ ♥

Powered by Blogger.