Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Wordless Wednesday-Reflecting

Lost Lake Tishomingo Wildlife Reserve
________________________________________
Also linking to Wednesday Hodgepodge
1. The popular saying, 'All is fair in love and war' is originally credited to English writer John Lyly.  Is he right? No! I am not sure John Lily, (1554 - 1606) was absolutely positive as revealed in this quote from him: "I thank you for nothing, because I understand nothing". 
Mother Bombie (1594) Source luminarian.org

2. Are you a cereal eater?  What's your favorite kind? Not very often. I like oatmeal for breakfast and some times a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios with soy milk makes a great late night snack.

3. A five year old in Pennsylvania was recently given a ten day school suspension for talking with a friend about shooting one another with a Hello Kitty Bubble gun (the gun blows bubbles).  She did not have the gun with her at school. - Does a five year old truly grasp what being suspending from school means? This is a reflection on America's cultural and historical development. Guns have always played a huge part in the development of our country. I can remember playing war and having play guns when I was a child and I was born January 23, 1957. However, our Barbie dolls didn't have guns. Why on earth do we as a society purchase and promote such things as 'Hello Kitty Guns?'  Stop buying this type merchandise and the companies will stop making it. 

A psychological evaluation was also ordered and the incident was recorded on her permanent record.  The suspension was later reduced to two days and her parents are suing to have the incident removed from her file. Your thoughts?  (If you missed the story click here for details). I think the parents need a psychological evaluation and parenting classes. After all, a five year old cannot drive. Who bought her the gun? Perhaps they should have been suspended from work for a week...problem solved!

I do think the incident should be removed from her official records. But,  only after a while. Studies of serial killers and people who have committed some sort of mass killing are revealing very early signs of violence.  I think it should stay on her record but, remain private and, be completely expunged if she doesn't make any other type threats say in a year or so.

4. Whatever happened to_______________________?


5.  January 23rd is National Handwriting Day, billed as a day to reacquaint yourself with a pen and pencil.  Do you like your handwriting? Do you prefer to print or write in cursive?  This date was chosen because its the birth date of John Hancock. What's the last thing you signed your name to?  No I do not like my handwriting. I prefer cursive. A check for tithes.

6. Speaking of John Hancock...ever been to Philadelphia? Do you have any desire to visit the city of Brotherly Love?  I have been through there once in the big truck with my husband but never have had the privilege of a real visit. My husband is a direct descendant of William Hooper who signed 'The Declaration Of Independence.' William Hooper's mother's name was Clark. My husband's mother was a Clark and so forth. We have everything documented and, for four thousand dollars a year, (their yearly dues the last time I checked), I could be a member of 'The Daughters Of The American Revolution'. 

7.  Share something funny you've heard a child say. I'm stumped on this one. My apologies but I can't think of a thing. REVISED: I just remember one. Our youngest daughter, now 37, a nurse and mother to five came to us when she was about 10 years old to ask for help with her homework.

Her question was in regards to a word she could not figure out how to pronounce. We asked her what the word was. She asked, "What is a cath-a-dril?" That is how she pronounced the word. We told her to spell it for us. The word was cathedral. It was funny then and it is odd also because as a nurse she works with catheters all the time. So it was funny and also prophetic! 

8.  Insert your own random thought here. I've really gotten into bird hunting and in turn I have become so very aware of nature and our environment. Now I am looking for all sorts of things. I think it must be wonderful to be photographer for a magazine such as National Geographic. If I could go back and change one decision I made in life it would be to choose to be a conservationist photographer.

~Happy Day!~

Mr. Linky is for Wordless Wednesday and Wednesday Hodgepodge
Please leave comment and don't forget to tweet and share on Google....thanks and please!

36 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your kind words and for linking up today! I am now following you as well!

    DayswithDylan

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful landscape and reflections. Haappy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the pond looks beautiful..

    Visiting you from Wordless..mine is up here

    http://www.puritasjournal.com/?p=96

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful picture! Please stop by LBtT and feel free to link up with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture is gorgeous Jackie

    Bette Davis was frightening in Whatever Happened To Baby Jane heheh! good film

    Have a fantasmagorical rest of week and don't do anything I wouldn't do ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful picture with the reflection :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful reflection image Jackie!!! The blues with the rusty landscape makes for one very artful picture.

    As for your Hodgepodge, you really made some good thoughts come out on the 5 year old and the parents needing the evaluation!! Also, I couldn't believe the ironic fact that your hubby is a relative of a signer of the DOI...Bud too...his family line is the Samuel Chase.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chock full of fin information! That pic at the top is amazing~

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous photo! Welcome to the Hodgepodge...so glad you joined in this week! I'm enjoying reading all the funny kid sayings this week. Nice to 'meet' you : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the picture Jackie. I think my favorite cereal is Honey Bunches of Oats with almond clusters lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a spectacular shot of the lake shore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great picture and I loved your kid story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your pretty picture! Very nice! I am very much into photography. My husband got me a new Nikon camera for Christmas, but I haven't had the time to sit down and figure out how to use it yet. Maybe this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photo is GORGEOUS!!

    Thanks for sharing and Happy WW :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun. Love the shot of the preserve. Way cool place to explore.

    I'm not a cereal eater. I used to be, but it never fills me up so I just don't eat it anymore.

    Have a terrific day honey. Big hugs and much love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. stunning photo of a place i would love to visit

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful!! I would love to be there right now, especially since it's about 5 degrees here in MA & the ground is covered with snow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photo! Have a wonderful WW!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! I can see myself sitting there and reflecting..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you all so very much. Please forgive me if I don't make it by your blog but today is my birthday and I am being a tad lazy!

    Happy WW to all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That photo is beautiful! My handwriting is so bad I can't even read it any more!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a gorgeous photo.
    I enjoy these hodgepodge posts. Like the story about your daughter and that is pretty funny

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your reflection photo is beautiful.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2013/01/wordless-wednesday-dancing-hot-dog.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the Linky! Very scenic area. I wonder what wildlife you can see there. I, too, like eating cereal for dinner, usually Cheerios or Kashi brand. I saw Whatever Happened to Baby Jane as a child and it gave me nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely lake scene.

    It's interesting about the 5-year-old. The early manifestation of violence has to be something more material to be truly significant, like torturing small animals or inflicting pain on one's peers. THAT should be taken seriously...not this talk of shooting a bubble-gun at someone.

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow..love the beautiful reflection! happy WW Jackie! :))

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jackie, of course you didn't offend me!! I took it as a compliment :)

    In regards to your question about my commenters, none are fellow students to my knowledge. As far as teaching, I don't work in a teaching capacity. I am an admissions counselor.

    And you're quite welcome in regards to my stopping by your blog. I really love your blog and always look forward to your posts and pictures :)

    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete

♥ ♥Thanks for stopping in and talking to me! ♥ ♥

Powered by Blogger.