Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Wordless Wednesday - Memories


_______________________________________________________
Also linking to Hodgepodge:
1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English...here's the list for 2013-

fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creation, passion/passionate, yolo (an acronym for you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wings, and guru

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen. 

1. yolo: I don't like these new so called acronyms because half the time I don't understand what they are referring to.
2.  When was the last time you rode a train?  Where did you go? - Two years ago my daughter and I rode the commuter train into Dallas and visited some museums and The Dallas Zoo.

3. Bagels-yay or nay?  Favorite 'flavor'?  Favorite topping? - Yay! But, only if they are onion bagels and I love them topped with a thin layer of cream cheese.

4.  'Tis the season of awards shows...if you could star in a movie already made which one would you choose? - Home From The Hill, starring Robert Mitchum - yum!

5. The move towards single gender classrooms has been making the news in recent months....what say you?  Do you think kids perform better if separated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination?  If you're a parent, is this something you'd support in regard to your own children? - No. I think it would deter learning social skills needed later on in life when entering the work force. This is not the problem with America's Public School System.

6. What's your favorite thing about staying in a hotel? - Nothing. I avoid them if possible.

7. Do you have a 'word' for 2013?  What's the story behind your choice? - Anticipation: My hubby will be retiring from the road some time this year, and I spent all of last year anticipating this grand new adventure in our life.

8.  Insert your own random thought here. -  Our daughter, the English Professor is seeking different employment. She has had some good nibbles from a couple of top notch really good schools where she would be on line for tenure. I am hoping and praying that she is blessed to get the best job out there for herself. She has worked so hard and is a first generation High School graduate from our family. She is a very creative teacher and students love her. She deserves a really good break in life. I pray it's her turn!

~I hope everyone has a super day!~

34 comments:

  1. I love staying in hotels. You must travel so much that the thrill of hotel rooms has worn off.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2013/01/wordless-wednesday-drivers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Joyce. When I travel now I try to fly and go right to my destination which is usually family! Too much time on the road in the truck spoiled me.

      The trucks today are just like big RV'S and if I have to go by road I prefer to stay in the truck...it's like a home away from home!

      Thanks for stopping in! Hugs!:-)

      Delete
  2. You just caught me was turning off for the night its 00.37am here hehe

    Have a fantastico week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like the acronyms either. It takes me forever to figure out what they are. Just spell it out already...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the vanity. Pretty.

    Now I want a bagel with strawberry and cream cheese.

    Have a terrific day. Big hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandee. Everything there is my mothers except for the charm bracelet and it was a gift from her!

      I hope you enjoy your bagel.

      Big hugs right back at ya'!:-)

      Delete
  5. I've only heard the term yolo once and don't like it so it can be banished! I've never been on a train but I do like hotels as long as they are really nice and preferably in some place warm or fun like Disneyland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't like acronyms too. they can be confusing to anyone who does not know their correct meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Vanity, it must be a treasure!I wish your daughter the best of luck in her job search!
    Have a good week,
    Janet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really interesting post...LOTS to think about. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely not a fan of acronyms!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your 'memories' photo is awesome, I love the monochrome effect...because they're nearly antique in so many ways. And your hodgepodge seems to echo mine is a few. That Yolo especially, what the heck is that? And good luck to your daughter...my son is 'in the same boat'....altho, his 'tenure' would be political science.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't care for bagels, they remind me of dog biscuits! Our office workers don't like the onion ones because they stink up all the others.

    Our word for 2013 is declutter. Although our house doesn't have a LOT of junk all over, we do have stuff we haven't used in years or that needs to find a better place to sit than hanging on doorknobs like my tote bags do.

    As to the question of boys and girls learning better together or separated, probably separated would be the right answer; however, I found that teaching in Sunday School, if I used my same methods I used with the boys of getting the students active, moving and making it fun, when we combined classes with girls, the girls responded well too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My word for this year is grateful. I take too much for granted. I am glad your hubby will be able to get off the road- a grand adventure indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicely captured image for a Wordless Wednesday indeed.

    I would ban fiscal cliff and the politicians that got us there! I am so fed of with the Federal government and their arrogance that I could just throw up!

    My dad worked for the Frisco Railroad, so I grew up riding trains, but I haven't been on one in years and years.

    OK, "Retirement" is my watchword for 2013 since it will happen sometime this year. I haven't set the exact date, but we are putting the Medicare piece of the puzzle together now. I'm looking forward to my final day in the office. I love my job, but I love the idea of retirement more.

    Thanks for stopping by Driller's Place. Come again soon.

    Jeremiah Johnson - Robert Redford

    Boys and girls are going to have to learn to work together sooner or later, it might as well start in school. I think the educators have a tendency to over think things.



    I do like bagels. During the holiday season Einstien's had a pumpkin/cinnamon spice bagel that was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! such a lovely shot! little treasures.. ;)


    Happy Wordless Wednesday! My entry is here , thank you. -Raquel-


    ReplyDelete
  15. Tee only train I have ridden was the Herber Creeper,going up the mountain through Herber canyon in Utah for a fall ride. I like bagels with cream cheese and walnuts, I dont like acronyms and I have ridden long haul on big rigs, however, not with the fancy accomadation and I love the photo with a the old bottles. THanks for sharing. Stop by if you have time.
    My Linky Is Here if you would like to stop by

    ReplyDelete
  16. How about that. Another day I qualify.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jackie, thanks so much for you visit. I am your newest follower (returning your follow) I look forward to more visits.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would ban the fiscal cliff for obvious reasons and bucket list, as too many people seem to just use that as a crutch and never actually do any of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish your daughter the best in her job. Your picture is beautiful. Happy WW.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are some nice vintage items in your photo.

    Hodge Podge: I haven't ridden a train in more than a decade, and that was to Chicago. I love bagels, but prefer either plain or cinnemon with cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not much of a hotel person either.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ps....I'm just now catching up on comments left for me on my blog and you had posted regarding the time to add your linky for Wordless...don't worry 'bout when I post....it's YOUR linky, I'll stop by when I can find time and add a link. Right now, I'm kinda lagging in posting time [usually my post is pre-scheduled to post at midnight]...anyway, I've been so busy working with my DVD project and bird photos that I've just lost having much of a schedule.

    Thanks for the input Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful bottles and boxes!

    ♥ aquariann
    Featured Photo: Pony Plant Sculpture

    ReplyDelete
  24. Quite a collection of ideas. It really meets the definition of Hodgepodge! I always wanted to be Peter Pan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you all so very much for taking the time to comment. I will try my best to retrun visits tonight!

    Oh and thank you all so very very much that also followed me! My new blog needs all the help it can get!

    Happy week to all!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm not sure that schools should be in the business of policing the language...the French have been attempting fruitlessly for over 300 years to do that with their language, & so far it's never worked (not even "un petit peu").

    Promoting good usage of English in speech & writing is another concern entirely. & it's what schools should be teaching in their writing & English departments. But recommending the banning of words (many of which will be obsolete & forgotten in a decade) is not a good way to go about it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I bet each item has a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi there! Thanks for stopping by for WW. Great photo with the silver finish.
    Was looking through the commentary. As someone who grew up in NY, I have strong opinions about bagels. My preferred combo is an onion bagel, toasted, with plain, chive of vegetable cream cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the image. Happy Wordless Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great photo, I love bagels with walnut cream cheese!

    ReplyDelete

♥ ♥Thanks for stopping in and talking to me! ♥ ♥

Powered by Blogger.