Thursday, January 17, 2013

Where Am I Today And Fossils Galore


Before I answer the question about where I am today I will tell you where Walter and I found these fossils. Last week when we were out photo hunting we went into the back side of The Tishomingo Wildlife Preserve. There is a small lake there and I was sure we would find some water fowl.

 It was a little hairy getting in there after all of the rain. We don't have four wheel drive and Walter said not to go. But, I was determined and drove in. Walter drove us out. We won't discuss that issue, okay?! Anyway, we didn't find any water fowl. As a matter of fact, we didn't find one single bird that can't be found in our own yard everyday.


However, what we did find is all of this exposed ledge that was formed entirely of fossilized seashells. At first, until we looked closer, we just thought the rocks jutting up out of the ground were just rocks, pure and simple. Upon closer inspection, we discovered the entire exposed area was made up completely of fossilized seashells. You could not take a step without walking on fossils. The entire area was all fossilized ledge.


 Walter noticed it first. I was looking for birds. I was positive there had to be at least one duck somewhere. But, then he noticed this ledge formed from fossils and we soon forgot about birds. We were enthralled with the land of fossils. We wondered how many millions of years had passed since these creatures were living and thriving right here underneath the ocean? It's mind boggling. WE plan on a return trip to the area to search for rose rocks.

That's where we were last week. Today I am going to be at another local State Park with camera in hand. So wish me luck. 
I'll see you all when I get back.
~Happy Day~

9 comments:

  1. I love fossils! What an unexpected blessing to come upon these~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fossils fascinate me. As a youngster, I dreamed of being a paleontologist :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun outing, but I'd love to hear about Walter driving out of that area. Sounds like it would be a very interesting story.

    Have a terrific day honey. Big hugs from sunny and cold California. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a serendipity! Beautiful. Get back there with thy camera, woman:)

    Big hugs, honey...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool blog. Interesting posts. ;)
    Nice atmosphere guests with you here on the blog. ;]
    Yours. Have a nice day. !

    Follow me on facebook fanpage
    I'm very concerned about this, please. :)
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/In-another-light/413836138693856

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those are really cool. What an interesting find

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking fossils. I love spending time in state parks. We should take the dogs today!

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

♥ ♥Thanks for stopping in and talking to me! ♥ ♥

Powered by Blogger.