Saturday, January 12, 2013

Okay Who Names Woodpeckers Anyway?


Northern Flicker (Picadae)

Northern Flickers are large, brown woodpeckers with a gentle expression and handsome black-scalloped plumage. On walks, don’t be surprised if you scare one up from the ground. It’s not where you’d expect to find a woodpecker, but flickers eat mainly ants and beetles, digging for them with their unusual, slightly curved bill. When they fly you’ll see a flash of color in the wings – yellow if you’re in the East, red if you’re in the West – and a bright white flash on the rump.
Courtesy: All About Birds
Female Ladder Back (Picoides)

I am very excited about this find after I saw the map and their usual habitat. I had a hard time finding an image to help me identify this woodpecker. Finally I found the information needed to identify at Green Nature. The males, like many other woodpeckers have a red stripe on their heads but not the females. I am excited because where I live is just barely within their range of habitat. I hope they stay here and now I want to find a male.
The tiny spot of purple, in the middle, on the line, between Texas and Oklahoma, on this map, is the Oklahoma side of Lake Texoma, where we live. It was a lucky find according to this map.








I have no clue what this fellow is. I didn't even know I had a shot of him until I got home and downloaded my images. I was taking a picture of the little bird on a line and he flew by. He is beautiful. Please let me know if you can identify him.
I Don't Know. Help Please!

It was a fly by!

Last but far from least, I close with a hope and a prayer for Spring. We found our first Robin of the season yesterday. Normally they do not show up here again until late February. So they are a tad early and they were everywhere.
American Robin

Dare we hope for an early Spring?
Thank you Anni for getting me hooked on birds!
AND
Camera Critters

26 comments:

  1. These birds, not seen here in Australia, are just fascinating! The fly by one has me totally intrigued! Gorgeous colours and patterns on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely capture of the flying bird. Fantastic shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that mid-flight shot is terrific. Such a beautiful bird too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love to see the flickers. :)

    your unknown is a European Starling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful photos. The woodpecker is so pretty - I've rarely seen one though I've heard a few!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing pictures Jackie, what a nice surprise for you to find the picture of the bird flying overhead!
    Hugs to you,
    Janet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pics! Wow- just amazing~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome photos. I agree with TexWisGirl, the fly by is a Starling and an awesome shot to capture, I might add.
    The Woodpecker is a beauty also, I enjoy seeing the Woodpeckers, they do seem to be gentle creatures. Definitely wouldn't expect to find one feeding from the ground, but would be intrigued by them doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wunderschöne Bilder von den Vögeln..nicht ganz einfach..

    LG vom katerchen der sehr begeistert ist

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures - wish you a good Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the flying spotted bird is a starling!!! They have a beautiful song.

    Your woodpecker images are fantastic [as is the bird in flight...that's NOT an EASY task]. Great images, all, Jackie!! And I enjoyed your commentary about each. Bird ID'ing is a challenge too. I still have one from last week, that I photographed, that I can't find in any book or online...yet.

    Thanks for linking up this week at the Bird D'Pot. Your post is a remarkable addition for all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely birds!
    Great photos!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your surprise capture - it's a beauty! Thanks for stopping by my blog, Jackie, and for your kind comments. I'll be sure to check out the site you suggested. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those gorgeous Northern Flickers; awesome captures of the fly-by and and others.
    Nicely done, Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful shots of the birds timed to the perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots. I never see the woodpeckers -- just hear them! Hope someone can identify your *flying bird*! Happy Critter Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely photography of some of nature's treasures ~

    ( A Creative Harbor)

    Thanks for coming by ~ your latest GFC follower ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you all so very much for your very kind and nice comments.

    Wow a Starling huh? Oh my, I am absolutely hooked now. I will probably spend the rest of my days seeking these guys out. I think he's marvelous!

    Thanks again so much and happy week to all! Oh yes thanks for the Google Pluses and for the follows also!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are some names indeed.

    It's wonderfully nice here in the afternoon for a bit, but it's really cold at night, or when the sun goes down. Perhaps spring will arrive earlier in your area. Critters always know more than we do.

    Have a terrific day honey. Big hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. i am SUCH a birdie....i love the northern flicker. they visit me once per year and they ones i see, always have a big red heart on the back of their heads!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. don´t think I´ve seen a flicker before. Looks great.

    Your unknown, I agree with TexWisGirl, it is a starling.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful captures! Starlings are beautiful in their iridescent feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A Starling in non-breeding plumage. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful bird shots.
    Thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I see that your "unknown" has already been identified as a European Starling.

    ReplyDelete

♥ ♥Thanks for stopping in and talking to me! ♥ ♥

Powered by Blogger.