Saturday, January 19, 2013

I'm Back With Birds, Critters And Even A Haven

This week I had a time getting shots of hawks. I did get four relatively good shots from different angles of two different ones. I have a photo of each one perched and in flight. I took all of these shots while standing in the middle of two very busy highways. I was driving all over the place, slamming on my brakes, pulling onto some rather slippery steep shoulders of the road and grabbing my camera as fast as possible. The first two shots are of  Red Tails. I actually chased the first one for about an hour before he finally settled and I got a shot. I warn you that bird hunting can become an addiction and hazardous to your life. But, I am hooked.




I got very aggravated getting this shot. This guy was in a tree not more than twenty feet from me when I first spotted him. Just as I was about to snap the picture a truck whizzed by and spooked him. He flew across the intersection landing a good ways from me. But, I was still able to get him perched and in flight too. Of course, the quality of your viewing is not as good even though I was using my 400 MM zoom lens. I edited both pictures as best I could in hopes you could see his markings.

The rest of my shots this week of birds are pretty common. But, while my son-in-law was visiting this past week from Maine he was absolutely fascinated with seeing redbirds and bluejays. It's been cold up there for quite a few months now and he enjoyed seeing them immensely  Then it dawned on me that what we might think a common and everyday ordinary bird viewing might not be so common in other areas of the country or the world. So below is an assortment of what I call everyday birds including one beautiful raven, a crow in flight and, one bird I did not have time to identify.





What is he? I don't know.

Click below and join us each week. It's so much fun. I always though bird hunting had to be the most boring thing in the world. Oh brother was I ever wrong.

While in the park I also spotted a possum sneaking out to get a drink of water during the daytime.

I also found three wild doe. I was using an experimental lens filter when I got the picture of the doe. I am not very happy with the quality of the image. However, I was very excited to see and get a picture of white tail doe in their natural habitat. You have to look very closely in the second picture to see all three as the two younger ones were turning and leaving the area.


This was a real lucky find and a lucky shot. You don't have to have anything exotic to join in on this meme. Most of the time my camera critters are my pets or simply the bird shots. Please don't think you have to search for critters in the wild to join in on this fun meme.

Camera Critters

Last but not least I am also linking to, 'The Saturday Phothunt' this week the subject for the week was 'Haven'.

I may not have a bird's nest on the ground,  but, I did find one way up high in a tree. A safe 'haven' for a bird and babies this spring.

There you have it. My edition this week of Bird D' Pot, Camera Critters and The Saturday Photohunt.

~Happy Weekend Everyone!~

35 comments:

  1. Great post, lovely photos with a lot of details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birds are hard to photograph. Very hard, but you did a fine job. I love your expeditions. You always come back with such great shots.

    Have a fabulous weekend honey. Big hugs and ♥♥♥ :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've managed to bring a lot of pizzazz to your critter/bird post today. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great birds pictures, love them, be careful of creatures out in the day time they could have rabies because they are night animals that is what I have always been told

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great variety of birds you have!

    Visiting from Misty's Camera Critters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a GREAT job with photography of all the birds and animals - I love to look at wildlife and you have so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely shots, the possum is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know much about birds but enjoyed reading your post and seeing the shots you took, you got a lot more patience than me I admire that lol.

    Have a twitterlicious Sunday Jackie and thanks for sharing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still chuckling about all your escapades to get these bird shots! I too have been known to do some weird parking by the road to get shots - and that includes capturing rainbows! They don't wait for long do they? Love the turned face of the hawk in the first photo and the dazzling red feathers too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so very much. I laid down for a bit and am feeling a little better. So I am trying to make the rounds now!

    Happy hunting everyone!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely array of birds and wildlife critters. Beautiful shots, Jackie. Be well and Happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the hawks and their fantastic feather patterns - especially in flight like you caught them.

    nice new self-portrait, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always have a hard time getting pictures of birds. They fly off before I have a chance to focus. Love all your shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots!

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really great photography, as always. Persistence pays off with those birds~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photos are all wonderful. The tree limb that the Hawk is sitting on doesn't look sturdy enough for him. You captured him quite well along with all the other birds and critters. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are lovely angles of your subjects. Thanks for visiting and following my site Jackie. I am sorry I deleted the 2nd comment as it has a link or a URL, as i discourage links in the comments. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful shots! Thank you for visiting my post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wunderbare Monente hast du mit der Kamera festgehalten

    LG vom katerchen dem diese Bilder sehr gefallen haben DANKE

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely series - love those first two shots!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lovely set of shots. The cardinal is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice pictures you show. Thanks for the comment on my blog. Wish you a good Sunday :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So many awesome shots here, especially the flying birds ones!
    Thanks for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh lucky you to have so many birds and animals at your area!
    I love the hawk! I always grab my camera and run outside when I can hear one. And it´s so hard to get good photos. YOu did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Belos cliques, o pássaro vermelho é fantástico! Um abraço!

    http://compiladodeideia.blogspot.com.br/2013/01/haven.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow - your shots of hawks - amazing! Love the cardinal too. I have such a hard time getting hawk photos - love the one of the hawk taking off. And the crow - so hard to get a good shot of a crow flying.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Quite an adventure catching those hawks. Well done! I would be as fascinated as your son-in-law seeing those exotic birds! But we do have a lot of moose in Sweden. Sometimes a moose wanders about in the streets of the big city. Sadly it almost always ends with the moose getting shot. However my photo of the moose was taken in a zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  29. After looking at these captures, I'm not sure that you need my advice. Just keep shooting. Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you all so very very much! I absolutely love this birding thing. I had no ida it would be so much fun!

    I hope everyone has a blessed and happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  31. your sweet little possum looks a lot like mine... and all this wild life makes me a tad jealous....

    ReplyDelete

♥ ♥Thanks for stopping in and talking to me! ♥ ♥

Powered by Blogger.