Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Gathering

Yesterday afternoon was marvelous. The sun was shining and the warmth was that of a glorious early summer day. A gentle soft warm breeze was blowing just enough to cause a few of the last remaining leaves on the trees to gently float through the air to find their winter resting place on the ground beneath. One would never know that Christmas was just around the corner.

I grabbed my camera and headed out in an attempt to complete my latest quest to capture a perfect lovely orange leaf in mid air.  They are so beautiful dancing to the tune of the wind. With each twist and turn the sun exposes an array of color within each single leaf. The perfect capture would reveal the brightest orange, red or yellow to be found within its veins.

The cats were all curled up asleep, with bellies still full from their late morning snack. Mollipop ran out of the door with a perky step always reserved only for the grandest times out side. She made her rounds diligently smelling all around the yard to make sure no stranger was, nor had been, in her territory. It only took a few moments and she too was over taken by the glory of the day. She made her way quickly to the south side of the yard. Once there, she rolled over on her back, and wiggled back and forth until at last she stretched full out to bask beneath the brilliant light of the sun.

We were all set and ready to devote our entire afternoon to this sweet warm southwestern winter afternoon. I took a seat on the front porch and made one last check to make sure my camera was on and ready. For a while the breeze lay still. Then as sure as the sun had rose earlier in the day the breeze returned and the leaves began to tumble down ever so slow. I arose from my comfy cushioned chair and got ready to get the perfect shot. I knew I need only be patient and soon I would have it. I was calm with little or no anticipation. Rather, I already felt the sensation and joy that comes when I have mastered my quest and gotten exactly the shot I had been waiting for.

Suddenly a huge dark shadow loomed above making its way across the sky. I could not see what it was because the front porch awning was blocking my view. Mollipop jumped up abruptly and began running as fast as she could barking wildly up into the sky above. All three cats arose from their lazy dreams, and moved closer in, under the awning, hiding from this very big ominous dark shadow that  now demanded complete attention.

Just as suddenly as this unseen large shadow flew over I looked to my right and one of the biggest, ugliest, spookiest looking birds I have ever seen was perched on a big limb. It sat staring down at all of us from the big Oak that stands along the banks of a small pond on the south side of our property. And then there was another one and another one. The afternoon had turned from delightful to down right creepy. They were coming from everywhere. I counted at least six of them.

I tried to get a picture with more than just one or two birds together. I think there is one. But only one. They wouldn't let me get another. They had become the masters of this sunny warm afternoon. Mollipop, the cats and myself now found ourselves spellbound and yes even a little frightened. What did they want? What were they? Buzzards? I don't know.   The pictures are below. You tell me.






Happy Bird Tails To You....

Tweet Tweet

30 comments:

  1. Hey when are u gonna get ID commenting system here? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think LJ is tired of me right now. But when she gets caught up I would love to have that here!:-)

      Delete
  2. Why not get LJ to install the twitter button here so we can tweet your posts on twitter too? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look closely there is a button for at the end of each post. You can share to Google+, which I need for people to do really bad, facebook, Twitter, email and more.

      Right now my large Twitter button is pointing to the wrong account. I emailed LJ last night though and she will fix it asap. She always gets to things asap and does such a marvelous job.

      And I have got to be her night mare client right now. But she puts up with me!:-)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful afternoon of photo taking sweetie, so glad to hear you are doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did but those buzzards were creepy and we did come in right after I took the pictures!
      Happy day and Hugs!:-)

      Delete
  4. No idea what kind of bird this is in your pic, I only know cats ha ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure they were buzzards. But the one perched in the tree was a light orange color. I was shooting into the sun so they are not the greatest pictures. You really can't see his coloring.

      So with him being an orange color I was sort of doubting that they were all buzzards.

      Ha, ha, I know cats too!
      Happy day and big hugs!!
      Jackie:-)

      Delete
  5. It does look like a buzzard to me. Sometimes we have whole trees of them near here. Your pics are lovely and your day sounds like it was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day and I had fun with this post. I love to write But I am always nervous about it. In college my professors always loved my story telling. But to save my life I cannot master grammar.

      Luckily for me I have a daughter who is an English teacher. If I can reach her she does her best to help me edit via telephone.

      I think most of them if not all of them were buzzards. But as I explained to another Marzie, the one perched in the tree was a light orange color. I was shooting into the sun so the pictures are poor. You can only see his shadow.

      We have turkey buzzards around here all the time too. But the one that was orange in color still has me baffled.

      It was great but also a little creepy to see so many gathering and perching all around our house. We came in after taking the pictures and they went away!

      I hope you have a marvelous day Shelly!
      Jackie:-)

      Delete
  6. It is a turkey buzzard. It gets the name from the red face and wattle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty sure they were Turkey buzzards but the orange one had me confused. Thanks Chuck for confirming they were indeed Turkey Buzzards.

      We see them all the time but this is my first encounter with one that was not grayish in color.

      Happy day!
      Jackie:-)

      Delete
  7. What a lovely post. You write very well Jackie.

    You captured this beauty very nicely too. Your dog knew to be cautious of this great bird too. Smart baby indeed.

    Have a terrific day honey. Big hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sandee. As stated previously writing always makes e nosy. After all Pam's nick name is PickyProf.

      I had fun with this one and yes all of the animals took cover. Heck even I came in when they just kept coming and coming. I was afraid Stephen King or Alfred Hitchcock might be our next visitor!

      Happy day to you too. And of course always big hugs for you!!
      Jackie:-)

      Delete
  8. Too bad those buzzards ruined your great shot. I would have gone inside, too.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. Sandee and Zane are two special friends of ours. I always love meeting new ppl, so come visit again...and so will I...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting here and I added you guys to my roll. I really enjoyed my visit.

      I just love Sandee to pieces. I only know her via blogging but she's like my big sister!!

      I have been blessed to meet and get to know some very wonderful people from all over the world while blogging.

      I look forward to getting to know you and yours more too!!

      Happy afternoon!!
      Jackie:-)

      Delete
  9. I see how the presence of those big, homely birds changed the mood of your beautiful afternoon from cozy to ominous. I thought at first they were eagles, but I read above that they're turkey buzzards. I wonder, is a buzzard another word for vulture?

    Don't let any small pets wander outside when they're around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought one was an eagle also. The one flying with the white tipped wings and the orange beak. And I was really confused when the one in the tree was a light orange color.

      We see turkey buzzards all the time but they have always been a grayish black color with a truly ugly face.

      But everyone seems to be in agreement that they are in fact turkey buzzards. Chuck would know I am pretty sure about that.

      I brought Molli in with me and the cats instinctively hid under the porch. One of Pam's wee little dogs Jack was picked up by something and dropped a couple of years ago. We found him hurdled under neath a bush in the back yard scared nearly to death.

      It's just been recently in the past few months that he has started going outside here when they visit and doesn't run for cover!!

      Thanks for stopping in Lynda. It's always so good to hear from you!
      Jackie:-)

      Delete
  10. Hello Jackie! wow..i love those pics, you captured it beautifully! hehe i can never catch birds with my camera :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Monica you turn out some great pictures. I bet you could get some really good bird shots.:-)

      Delete
  11. btw, do you have a badge for your blog? all first commenters will get linky love from me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hummmm....no badge but will try to do one!! I need the link love! Thanks!!:-)

      Delete
  12. Enjoy the rest of your day and waiting for your new posts soon..Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So you went out to get a picture of a falling orange leaf, and we end up with the whole buzzard/vulture issue.*grin* Nice bird pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it in nutshell Vanilla!! Thanks for stopping over!!:-)

      Delete
  14. The way you wrote this you made it sound like the most delightful day. You have a great talent with words. I was thinking the same thing that Chuck said, that they were turkey buzzards. They sure are ugly things aren't they...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are very ugly. I don't get moved to write too often Ann but everyone knows that by now. Thanks bunches for your kind comment!! I had fun with it!!:-)

      Delete
  15. What a nice post Jackie I just love that name Mollipop LOL

    Those photos were nice and clear thanks for sharing

    Have a fantabulosa WW! and week :-)

    ReplyDelete

♥ ♥Thanks for stopping in and talking to me! ♥ ♥

Powered by Blogger.