Sunday, December 16, 2012

Joy - Why, Where, How?

Image Courtesy of popscreen

Today is the third Sunday in December. Around the world millions of Christians will light the third candle in their Advent Wreath. A myriad of traditions will follow: perhaps, an early Christmas celebration with family and friends, or even Christmas dinner spent visiting Grandparents this weekend, so all the children can be tucked in, all snuggled up at home, listening for jingle bells on Christmas Eve.

I cannot sit here and write this without mentioning the terrible, tragic event that took place this past week in Newtown, Connecticut: innocent victims, the majority, small young children, gunned down while at school. A place once believed to be a safe haven for all American children. But the last decade or two has proven there is truly no safe haven here on this earth. Not for those poor young children, not for millions of children around the world , not for anyone, anywhere, not here within this world!

I cannot sit here and write about lighting the third candle, representative of 'Joy,' without expressing heartfelt sorrow for the students killed in Newtown this past week, and their families. I cannot write this without taking a moment to reflect on the anguish of those left behind to grieve their loss. I, we, all of us, must take a little time to reflect in quiet meditation and prayer for all children, all human beings, all living creatures, that suffer and endure seemingly senseless acts of horror, agony and tragedy, for it is the way of the world.

Our Lord Jesus knew this, yet, still He endured. He wept (John 11:35). Yet, He went on. He knew to endure and overcome all of this world's misery would lead Him to true 'Joy' in the purest form. The joy that comes from another place. Our true home. This world is not our home. We are merely passing through. Only God knows why we are here, where we are headed, and how we will leave this world.

Today, as many days, will be very difficult for millions of people all over the world. Today, we Christians, light the third candle of 'Advent', the purple candle of 'Joy'. We do so with full knowledge that we too, as believers, will also overcome this world some day. We too shall rise again as Jesus did and take our place in His Kingdom, all suffering gone, all agony ceased, no tears, no grieving, no suffering of any kind, only joy!

~Because I could not stop for death-
He kindly stopped for me-
The carriage held but just Ourselves-
And Immortality.~
-Emily Dickinson
                                                             Because I Could Not Stop For Death

Turn, Turn, Turn,
The Byrds


You will not take from me my joy!
You dark prince rising from the
Depths of Hell- 
Roaming to and fro
Upon this earth -
Wreaking havoc
Everywhere you go.
My Joy resides in the Lord.
Of this, I , you and He do surely know!
-Jackie Hooper

~God bless to each and everyone~


13 comments:

  1. Horrendous! I was saddened by this senseless tragedy. Deepest condolences to the families of the victims.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ECL it was horrendous! Unfortunately it is also something that happens way too often here in America lately.

      Al we can do is pray!

      Delete
  2. First of all....I scrolled down to see what I've been missing and that post just below this one is soooooooooo heart warming, Love His Smile!!

    Then, the tragedy in Connecticut. I've read a bit about it, but couldn't go too far into any articles because it just broke my heart. I kept thinking "What if I had a young child that I sent off to school, and he didn't come back home?" So so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, Anni....thank you so much...we think he is a little doll too.

      I like you have also avoided the news about this entire situation in Newtown. But, I was moved to write about it.

      All we can do is hang onto our faith and trust in the Lord!
      Blessings:-)

      Delete
  3. We cannot have good on this earth without evil, and this week, we have had the worst evil! This truly breaks my heart...and I know God is also weeping along with us.

    Blessings and hugs to you on Advent III, honey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true on all counts!! Blessings and hugs to you and yours too!!:-)

      Delete
  4. It is so hard to even think of this horrific event. My prayers remain with those families, that community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours too Shelly....ours too!!
      Blessings to you and yours!!

      Delete
  5. It is indeed a very sad week. There is so much good on earth, and so much bad too. What happens to people to make them take the lives of innocents? What happens?

    Have a blessed Sunday honey. Big hugs my friend and I ♥ you to pieces. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the answers Sandee...I just try my best to keep the faith!!

      Blessings to you to my dear dear friend!♥

      Delete
  6. So many families that will associate this time of year with the sadness that has fallen upon them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know it is sad Ann. I know just dealing with losing our two boys has been incredibly hard. I can't imagine what these families are going through.

      Delete
  7. It is such a sad time. It is hard to know what to say. Thank God we have God.sandie

    ReplyDelete

♥ ♥Thanks for stopping in and talking to me! ♥ ♥

Powered by Blogger.